STATEWIDE Employment and Economic Response to COVID-19
Daily Digest Monday, March 23
This digest is a compilation of information and resources related to employment, commerce and economic development issues surrounding COVID-19. There are numerous online resources for those seeking health-related information, including daily COVID-19 updates from the Oregon Health Authority at https://govstatus.egov.com/OR-OHA-COVID-19.
Governor Kate Brown tightens social distancing measures, tells Oregonians to “Stay Home, Save Lives”: Governor Kate Brown today issued Executive Order 20-12, directing everyone in Oregon to stay at home to the maximum extent possible and adding to the list of businesses that will be temporarily closed to stem the spread of COVID-19 in Oregon. The order is effective immediately, and remains in effect until ended by the Governor.
Governor Kate Brown issues order to stop residential evictions during COVID-19 crisis: Governor Kate Brown on Sunday issued Executive Order 20-11, placing a temporary moratorium on residential evictions for nonpayment in light of the public health emergency caused by the spread of coronavirus in Oregon. The order is effective for 90 days.
The Oregon Department of Agriculture regularly updates its COVID-19 resource page with information about farm workers, animal health, food safety and more.
The Manufacturing Extension Partnership has COVID-19 resources, including information on managing supply chains, business continuity and financial resources.
Business Oregon has translated its fact sheet on COVID-19 Business Survival Tips into Spanish.
The National Main Street Center is offering a series of webinars to support local businesses and communities. Sessions will cover national policy and best local practices related to Main Street America during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The Oregon Department of Revenue has guidance on COVID-19 tax relief options, with information on the personal and corporate income tax and the corporate activity tax.
Background on the “BRN” list:
The Regional Solutions Team, after consulting with our County Emergency Managers, is going to start making regular communications regarding COVID-19 business impacts and assistance to you all. This is the first email out to the group to introduce the concept—and an initial message that your organizations may pass along to your networks of businesses as you see fit.
General protocols for the BRN mail list:
- We will to start the subject line of all emails with “BRN”: Business Recovery Network.
- We expect to use this network to ask questions of you all. In addition, it could be useful for you all to share questions and thoughts with each other, etc., so we will leave the recipients in the “To:” line rather than “Bcc:”. Please be aware of that and do not forward the header/recipient list if/when you are forwarding the messages.
- We’d like to avoid this list becoming for direct communications to businesses, so we will generally rely on you all to determine what makes sense to communicate to your clients or members.
- If you have other partners or colleagues that you would like to receive this communication, please let us know.
- For questions/suggestions on how this group/list functions, please direct those to Sean, Marta & Alex, rather than the full group.
Thanks for your attention!
Alex Campbell, Regional Solutions Coordinator, Office of Governor Kate Brown
Sean Stevens & Marta Tarantsey, Regional Development Officers, Business Oregon